Feng Shui is based on traditional Chinese principals that seek to create harmony and balance within your environment. While this is a field that can be applied to many spaces, and is governed by complex principles, some basic principles can be explained in ways that are easy to understand.
Feng Shui is not a superstition, but is based on facts and principles. This craft examines how the placement of things and objects within it affect the energy flow in your living environment, and how these objects interact with and influence your personal energy flow. Your personal energy flow affects how you think and act, which in turn affects how well you perform and succeed in your personal and professional life. It affects you every moment of the day – whether you're aware of it or not. It influences the flow of 'energies' around the living environment.
Before you engage in Feng Shui, let us demystify it and explore what this craft is not.
Feng Shui is not
- A get-rich-quick method of Asian interior design that guarantees impossible results for mysterically rearranging your furniture.
- It is also not an Asian technique that can guarantee your next promotion in the office or enable you to strike the lottery, even though some practitioners believe that an improvement in the flow of energy around the house can increase your probability of achieving these aims.
- A superstitious or magical belief system, or a New Age fad that disconnects you from reality or from your daily life. Feng Shui is based on certain principles and techniques, and does not involve magic, black magic, or superstitious tricks.
- A simple home and garden makeover. This craft is a way of life and a way of lifelong learning. You can make continuous improvements to your living environment.
- A quick fix to be tackled in one afternoon. To master and implement it, continuous learning and exploration into the bountiful world of Feng Shui is advised.
- A luxury only the rich and famous can afford. This is totally not true. You can make basic improvements to your living and working environment simply by re-arranging the furnishings, or by clearing the clutter in your house! Feng Shui is that no exclusive to only the rich. Anyone can take part in it and master its principles.
While you can not control every element of your wider environment, Feng Shui allows you to adjust your personal space to make it more conducive, harmonious and balanced.
About The Author